Mittwoch, 18. Mai 2011

Erika Iris Simmons aka iri5 - recycled cassette tapes and old film reels

Erika Iris Simmons aka iri5, is a self-taught artist currently residing in Atlanta, Georgia. In her incredible series titled Ghost in the Machine, Erika uses film from recycled cassette tapes and old film reels to create fantastic portraits of iconic artists and musicians. Below is a small sample of this wonderful series. You can find the complete gallery on iri5′s Flickr page.


The Dude Abides

The Experience


Blondie

Bob Dylan







“My name is Erika Iris Simmons. I am a self-taught artist who works with non-traditional media. Most of my materials have been discarded or donated at some point. I try to express an idea, through the arrangement of very common things, with the hope that some message is conveyed without words. I love the nostalgia of the archaic and I hope that not everything which has outlived its use goes to waste. Right now I live in Georgia : ) But I am always on the move… I’m 26, graduated from Washington University in St. Louis, 2006, with a degree in Russian.” – iri5